top of page

SCI5

What is the Sci5 fee?

SCI5 is a 5 dollar Faculty Association Membership Fee (FAMF) that undergraduate science students pay each semester. It helps fund many of the services provided by ISSS, to undergraduate science students, such as subsidized locker rentals, microwave services, handbooks, scholarships, grants, graduation, ISSS Rewards, Mini Study Groups (MSG), Instructor Appreciation Night, Science Week events, among others. It also helps provide funding for COSSA groups. 

 

Every four years, students get to vote on whether they want to keep the SCI 5 fee.  

Why is it important?

Although it is only $5 per semester, the SCI5 fee is extremely important. More than 97%* of all funding collected through the fee is returned to science students through the services mentioned above. The remaining 2 to 3%* is allocated for administrative expenses such as office and website maintenance. Without the fee, all of the services mentioned above would not be possible.

 

*These numbers may change slightly from year to year

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can I pay the SCI 5 Fee?

A: If you are an undergraduate student in the Faculty of Science, the fee is automatically collected in the Fall and Winter terms, as part of the non-instructional fees in your tuition. Students in a work term as part of the Science Internship Program (SIP), Visiting Students, and Special Students are exempt from the SCI 5 fee.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please email vp.adminfinance@isss.ca 

bottom of page